View of the Applecross coast from the cottage

Applecross Peninsula - a brief History

Applecross is one of the earliest centres of Christianity in Scotland.  In the year 673 ad, the Monk Maelrubha, having alighted on the southern shores of the Peninsula and established a monastery at Applecross, declared the surrounding area a sanctuary.  Even today, the Applecross Peninsula still provides sanctuary to those wishing to escape the pressures of modern living and who wish to enjoy the romance and tranquillity of this most beautiful part of Scotland.

Applecross was, and still remains, one of the most remote areas in Scotland. Until the coast road was completed in 1975, the Peninsula was split north and south. Access to Applecross was either by the Bealach nam Bo (Pass of the Cattle) or by sea. The only access to the, then, thriving crofting and fishing townships scattered along the west and north coasts was by footpath or by boat. By the time that the coast road was completed, it was too late for many.

In 1850 nearly 3,000 people lived in the scattered townships of Applecross. Now there are less than 300. The clearances were responsible for some of the depopulation, but lack of local opportunities and work also contributed. The remains of previously thriving communities can be seen in many areas along the coast.

In the earlier part of the last century, the Applecross Estate was the main employer with a full complement of farm workers, dairymaids and cattlemen, shepherds, gamekeepers, gardeners, joiners, housekeepers, support staff, boatmen and fishermen. Now the Estate employs only a few. Crofting, fishing and tourism are now the main sources of employment for the Applecross population.